Back Pain Treatment with our Fort Smith Chiropractor
Back pain is a leading cause of disability and nearly universally experienced, affecting up to 8 out of 10 people. At River Valley Back and Neck Clinic, our chiropractor in Birmingham would be happy to meet with you to determine the right plan of care to address your impairments and improve your spinal health from the inside out.
Different Types of Back Pain
Back pain can occur in the upper, middle, and lower spine (cervical, thoracic, and lumbar, respectively). Sometimes it's not entirely clear what the underlying problem is. However, using a combination of physical tests, personal history, and diagnostic imaging (as necessary), our Birmingham chiropractor is often able to diagnose issues such as:
- Soft tissue injury: spinal muscles and ligaments can often become irritated and inflamed, leading to spasms, tenderness, weakness, and instability (this may be in response to underlying joint problems)
- Disc injury: spinal discs serve important roles, including mobility and shock absorption; due to cumulative stress, trauma, or aging, discs can bulge out of place, herniate (tear and ooze), or gradually thin and degrade
- Joint injury: problems with spinal joints often include narrowing (stenosis), acute locking/misalignment, or inflammation and wearing down of the protective cartilage lining (osteoarthritis)
Other underlying health problems, including organ dysfunction, fibromyalgia, and depression, can present with back pain.
Causes and Symptoms of Back Pain
Too much sitting, poor posture, repetitive movement, or heavy lifting can strain tissues in your spine and increase your risk for injury. Acute trauma can also lead to back pain and injury.
Weakness in the core, decreased flexibility in shoulder and hip muscles, and even obesity, stress, and smoking can increase your risk of back pain, as well. The good news is that many of these risk factors for back pain are preventable!
Common symptoms include stiffness, dull throbbing pain that gets worse with sitting, and numbness, pain, and weakness in an arm or leg (if a nerve in the spine becomes pinched by a disc, muscle, or joint).
Chiropractic Services for People With Back Pain
Studies indicate that chronic back pain improves with chiropractic care. Our back pain treatment frequently includes:
- Chiropractic adjustments, which restore normal spine mobility and alignment
- Exercises, which improve core strength and activation, increase circulation, and heal tissues
- Lifestyle advice, to teach you safer posture, stress relief, weight loss strategies, etc.
Need Help With Back Pain? Call Our Chiropractic Clinic in Fort Smith AR Today
Drug-free and surgery-free relief from your dysfunction is possible! Contact River Valley Back and Neck Clinic now at 479-785-0400 to schedule an appointment with our Fort Smith chiropractor, Dr. Alan L. Osowski.